Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cooperation makes it happen

In preparation for Saturday's pantry party (really, that's what the big monthly distribution days have become), seven folks related to the Community Table showed up and fell into particular tasks that took us from a pick-up truck full of boxes to neat, organized shelves of food ready to be "shopped."

We stayed focused on our tasks--hauling, sorting, stacking, knocking down boxes, stuffing freezers, cleaning--even as we chatted and joked. And though I began to notice some soreness in my back from yanking cardboard boxes apart, I was joyful as I looked around at so many companions in the work, all older than me, some with longtime knee or back problems themselves, laughing and working selflessly and without complaint so that this food might be available to our neighbors.

I found myself singing the refrain of a Sesame Street that has amazingly ramained lodged in my brain over the 25 years (really??) since it appeared! Perhaps even more amazing is that I (re)discovered that the song is actually about creating a community garden!

Cooperation makes it happen....cooperation--working together!!



Paul talked about cooperation, too, in his letter to the Ephesians (4:4-7):
You were all called to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so stay together, both outwardly and inwardly. You have one Master, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who rules over all, works through all, and is present in all. Everything you are and think and do is permeated with Oneness. But that doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same. Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift.
Cooperation makes it happen, cooperation--working together! Dig it!

No comments:

Post a Comment