Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Getting out there

At the beginning of September, I officially returned from maternity leave and began to intentionally reconnect with folks in the neighborhood and with those involved in Western Washington County Hispanic Ministries.  Thankfully, these ministries do not rely on my presence, and the Community Table Food Pantry, The Supper, and Creation Vacation all continued during our absence.  It was a joy to sit down with people and to ask them to share stories about how these have all been going over the past few months.  And although I shouldn't have been, I was a bit surprised at the leadership that some people demonstrated as they stepped forward and took on responsibilities that had previously been mine.  A neighbor of ours and long-time food pantry volunteer received all the calls for emergency food boxes from Spanish-speakers, and she did an excellent job at it!  Four women served as the "Dean Team Dream Team" and took on leadership responsibilities at Creation Vacation in addition to being Family Friends, and 16 families had a wonderful time at camp!  Two participants in The Supper, one an English-speaker and one a Spanish-speaker, led folks in discussion over dinner and even hosted several new people who had come from a local migrant camp.  It was hard to be away and wonderful to come back, now with my sweet Auggie strapped to me wherever I go!  I am learning now how to stick to the essentials and how to let go and trust the other capable people in service around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment